Tuesday, July 1, 2008

RIP George Carlin

My dad was a die-hard submarine officer, GOP market-and-military engineer type Republican, and oddly enough, he loved George Carlin too. Loved him. Enough to take me to see him twice. One of those times I was only 14 and he corrupted two of my friends too. At the time we didn't realize we were seeing a national treasure. My mom emailed me in Guatemala to tell me Carlin had died and to ask me to give back his comedy album, the one that I took with me to college in 1992.

Suffice it to say, I couldn't write a blog with the word "conservative" in the title and agree with every political statement George Carlin ever made, facetious or otherwise. But Carlin was an ardent defender of the First Amendment and lover of
our English language, in ALL its forms. He recently observed that he learned the famous Seven Words from policemen and military men; that's how they really talk. And if they're not patriots, who is?

No comments: