Monday, March 24, 2008

An EU-NAFTA Union?

As cyber-conservatives we run into more than our share of conspiracy freaks. I mean just certified nutbars who we wish wouldn't use the same political label that we do. If I see one more post about the coin for the North American Union I'm going to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. It's not real guys, check your sources and give it up.

Meanwhile there are real international alliances being proposed; what's more, I think they're to our benefit. That was my first reaction to the article I'm linking to there.

My second reaction: so that's the kind of shape we're in, that the Europeans think it's time to extend us a helping hand? Whatever the reason for the proposal (and that's all it is at this stage), in other entries I've supported the idea of a joint US-EC trade zone (essentially the economic answer to NATO). Unless there is a radical democratization of China's government, at the close of the 21st century it will be increasingly obvious that the world has again divided into three blocks: the West, China plus satellites, and the developing world. If we don't recognize that now we're going to be in even more trouble.

IF IT'S BAD FOR THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT, IT'S GOOD FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

No comments: