Monday, March 24, 2008

Support Tibetan Buddhists and Falun Gong Against the Chinese Government

If you've read some of my other entries, you know I'm not a huge fan of organized religion in government. (Neither was my namesake, the American hero who wrote Common Sense). In fact, there's nothing more dangerous and easily made into a tool of repression - take one look at Taliban Afghanistan or the Spanish Inquisition. But it's impossible not to recognize that people's individual faith can be a reservoir of strength and hope in dark times, and individual faith has unquestionably helped in the fight against tyranny.

In modern Asia, two of the worst countries are China (of course) and the incompetent China wannabe Myanmar. Myanmar was just in the news a few months ago doing much the same things to monks that China is right now. Things that China has also been doing to Falun Gong practitioners for years. I don't even know anyone who's Falun Gong, but if I'm for freedom of religion, then the position here is pretty much a no-brainer.

I've mentioned that the Chinese consulate is close to where I live. Every day there are Falun Gong practitioners meditating in silent protest in front of it. When I walk by them I always give them a quiet "Be strong, guys." It's the least I could do.

When you hear about Falun Gong, when you see a Free Tibet sticker - as modern conservatives - we should show support. Because IF IT'S BAD FOR THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT, IT'S GOOD FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

No comments: